Friday, October 26, 2012

The Dunky

This morning my philosophy professor used the most confusing example to explain compatibalism and reason vs. desire, or something like that. I'm actually not sure...
Anyway, he starts off by saying, "Imagine you have a pet Dunky." Okay, that's kind of weird, but I'll go with it, I thought.
"And there are two carrots dangling from the ceiling at equal distances from The Dunky." At this point I'm like, THE Dunky? What?? So I sort of snorted and looked around, but everyone else is just sitting there straight-faced with rapt attention. Really? No one else thinks this is kind of weird? I thought.
"Which carrot does The Dunky go for?" After a long pause in which he decided no one was going to respond he said, "The Dunky would not go for either. It would starve and die. There are conflicting desires." Then he kept talking about some other shit. Five whole minutes passed, and I realized he was saying DONKEY. Like a donkey. A pet donkey. I feel ridiculous. I honestly thought he was talking about a pet rabbit whose name was The Dunky...

No comments:

Post a Comment